Thanks for the opportunity to do a Potiki Urban Tour with you. I loved your women’s energy, Maori pride and passion for Papatuanuku – the earth. I also especially liked the combination of:
- The buzzing multicultural Otara market (and your personal introduction to talented Maori and Pacific Island craftspeople selling genuine, beautiful taonga at reasonable prices)
- The ancient pa of Maungakiekie (including the computerised reconstruction of the original fortified pa in the Information Centre, and also the intimate politics of the mountain today)
- The journey through the forested Waitakere Ranges (including lunch and flax weaving beside the Karamatura Stream and the walk on the sparkling blue-black sand of the wild west coast beach at Whatipu).
- Your weaving of Maori stories into the journey, and your karakia at significant moments, added a deep and unique dimension to the experience.
- Bianca’s driving of the red Potiki minibus on windy Waitakere roads was staunch. And your gift of a beautiful silver and paua pendant at the end of the tour was a lovely and moving touch.
Thanks for a refreshing look at my old home town of Auckland – Tamaki Makaurau, land of a hundred lovers through the eyes of your ancient traditions, and with your youthful energy.
‘A wicked trip’ as the young ones say!! Arohanui