- Firstly, if possible, I choose a company that is based in New Zealand.
- Secondly I choose a company that uses local guides
Why are these two important?
Using a company based in your own country
I live in New Zealand, culturally we are close to Australia – though we have our differences! We are easy going, warm, flexible – used to being at the bottom of the world, we are interested in the world around us.
All of this means we have some things in common when travelling in a small group.
Once I have decided where I am going, my first choice when looking at the hundreds of tours for women on the Women Travel Tour Calendar is to look for a trip run by New Zealanders or Australians. I would not say no to other trips, but they would be my first choice.
Using Local Guides
Personally I am not interested in gliding over the top of a country, staying insulated in 5 star hotels and eating the food I can eat at home.
I want to live like a local as much as possible, or at least get an idea of what it is like to live as a local. The only way to do this, is to have local knowledge, and to use local guides, who can offer an insight and introduction into the world you are exploring.
Many of the women owned companies listed on Women Travel the World are small boutique companies that form relationships with authentic local guides, and are often involved in projects that support local communities.
There is also a listing of women who are local guides in places around the world
New Zealand Women Traveling overseas
– here are NZ companies I recommend
- Venus Adventures for Women
- Silk Road Adventures
- Womens Adventures NZ – mostly within NZ but regular Samoa and Bali Trips
- Travel with Beverly to Cuba and Peru
- Rejuvenate Retreats in Bali
- The Gables – Mediterranean trips with two fabulous chefs
- Indafrica – Tours to India and Africa
Some excellent Australian Companies too here
Leave a Reply